WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A WATER SOFTENER AND A REVERSE OSMOSIS SYSTEM?
Reverse osmosis (RO) systems purify your water and water softeners reduce hardness in your water. RO systems use a semi-permeable membrane to filter your water, reducing contaminants and minerals, which are flushed down the drain. Water softeners use ion exchange to replace minerals that cause your water to be hard with sodium or potassium, making your water soft. RO systems are less efficient than water softeners, so they’re usually installed at a single point-of-use, like a kitchen sink, rather than used for the whole house.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF USING A WATER SOFTENER?
- Water-using appliances last longer
- Dishes are cleaner
- Skin and hair are soft and silky
- Save money and time on cleaning
- Virtually eliminate water spots
- Prepared food and beverages taste better